Saturday, February 27, 2010

Oil painting, how long to dry?

hey, I just finished my first oil portrait and I'm wondering how long it will take to dry. I painted on a 24x20 canvas using 'Grumbacher' Artists' oil colors pretested. and I also mixed into the colors a little of 'Windsor and Newton Artisan' water mixable oil painting medium. I did not layer it on too thick and I didn't use any water. Can any experienced oil painters give me an idea of how long it will be until I can put a protective coat on it? thanksOil painting, how long to dry?
It depends, sometimes when I have to deliver a painting to the Gallery I don't use too much paint and use only turpentine or turpenoid as a mixing medium, (no oil) this way it will dry faster, I won't get the beautiful satin finish look, but I will have my painting ready to hang in a couple of weeks. But in reality, oils take anywhere from 3 months to a year to really really dry so that you can touch it, or travel with it. Only you can decide on the time you should allow yourself, all paints, have a different molecular structure, and all temperatures are different all over the world, and there many other factors to take into consideration, practice will teach you more than all the readings, suggestions, tips, seminars, formulas or secrets that anyone can give you. Art is that wonderful, only you can create it your way, and only you know the real meaning of your work. Have fun.Oil painting, how long to dry?
Move on and start your next painting it will take some time for the one you just finished to be ready for varnished. Depending on how thick you applied the paint it could take six months to a year.
Depending on the amount of paint thinckness. The rule of thumb is six months before you add the protective coat. But it could take longer.
Minimum 6 months, that is if the paint layers are thin. For impasto works or palette knife painting, minimum 1 year.

No comments:

Post a Comment