Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How to start out oil painting?

I have been painting using acrylic for a few years and I find it very straightforward and easy, unlike oil painting! I get frustrated every time I try to use oil paints. Any tips / advice? Also, can I use the same bruses for my arcylic and oil paints? thanks!!How to start out oil painting?
Try using Oilbars! They are basically oil paint in a bar! This eliminates the brush when painting, so you are theorectically 'closer' to your canvas. It's just a philosophy, but hey! Although you cannot get such detail or precision with these big bars, you WILL get used to the nature of oil paint, seeing as tis soo different to acrylics. Once comfortable with its texture, use a brush and white spirit to blend and/or thin colours. I do not suggest using the same brushes, nor do I suggest using artist-quality. Artist-quality dries quickly and this makes them harder to use than the acrylics you are used to.How to start out oil painting?
I started painting with acrylics but quickly moved on to oils. But before i did that i read up on the medium using library books. I read many books on many artist and their painting techniques and started to apply them to my painting. Durring this process, on each new project i would try something new or drop a technique i learned but didn't think worked well for me. All trial and error. It's been about seven years now and a ton of books along the way but i'm really glad i stuck it out. If you were to ask me what i think is the most important factor that eliminates and or minimizes frustration i would have to say planning your painting out. Something i learned the hard way because when your painting for someone and you have a deadline there's no time to run into problems that a little planning could have taken care of. On the other question, i would use a different set of brushes for each medium. My work can be checked out at hellosanantonio.com under artist name GUERRO1.

No comments:

Post a Comment