Thursday, February 25, 2010

How can I pack my oil painting if I am taking it to another country?

Any suggestions how to make sure it wont be damaged?How can I pack my oil painting if I am taking it to another country?
in cardboard. i have done it. bulkly but sturdyHow can I pack my oil painting if I am taking it to another country?
If the painting is valuable (or valuable to you) take it to any shipping place (Fed-Ex, UPS, mailboxes etc) and have them professionally pack it.





If improperly packed, heat can affect the painting, and any plastic, fabric or paper might stick to it. It might also be damaged in transit.





If you have several paintings, contact an art gallery. They may be able to crate them safely for you or give you a contact of someone who can.
You don't mention if it is on stretchers, loose canvas, a panel or what. If it can be rolled and is of a size--put it in a mailing tube and carry it on with you. If it is not able to be rolled, i agree with the Fed-ex suggestion. They ship such things overseas all the time and know how to do it right. If it is valuable, make sure its insured--won't help fix it or replace it, but at least you'll be compensated for the loss.
Wrap it in a quilt, then place it in a painting box. You can get one from a moving company. I have moved paintings back and forth from France without damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment