Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My 1st oil painting and I'm stuck on how to paint the trees. Any ideas with colours/shapes etc? ?

Hi, I'm 13 and I'm painting my first oil painting for my bedroom...I've gone quite abstract. However I've practically done the background but I'm really stuck on how to paint the three trees, I'm not sure what colours I should use, how I should paint them etc. If you have any suggestions, ideas or tips for me.....it would be much appreciated.





http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2780402070104160731vVVJUU





Thanks so much!


My 1st oil painting and I'm stuck on how to paint the trees. Any ideas with colours/shapes etc? ?
your painting is very geometric, try rounding the shapes up, and i think they should be definitely three different shades of blue,lightest at the backMy 1st oil painting and I'm stuck on how to paint the trees. Any ideas with colours/shapes etc? ?
Your painting is very cool.





I always prefer for my trees to mix my own yellow and blue.





Here is a great tutorial:





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqwX_y4WU鈥?/a>



First of all, let me give you a couple of websites that may help you. www.currys.com is the website for Curry's Art Supply Stores which is a group of stores in and around the Toronto, ON area. On that site you can not only find CHEAP supplies but many tutorials on just about anything you need help with. www.wetcanvas.com is an artist site where artists go to chat, show work, ask questions, find answers, etc. It is a networking site for artists.





As for the trees and how to paint them, the other elements in your painting have been painted in a very loose style (meaning little to no detail). The trees should be painted the same way. If you add too much detail to them they will stand out, but for the wrong reason. In other words, the painting won't make sense visually. Like I tell my students, ';You don't have to beat the viewer over the head to get your point across.'; - meaning, you don't have to paint every hair on a head, every feather on a bird, or, in your case, every leaf on a tree. Use a small ( #2, #4, or #6) flat or round brush that has soft hairs and just use simple, undefined little strokes to represent the leaves. Regarding colours, Pthalo Green, Pthalo Blue or Prussian Blue would work well becasue even though they are dark colours they still have an element of warmth to them. Throw in some Cadmium Yellow Light (or 'Pale') for highlights and Burnt Umber for shadows. The yellow and brown can be mixed with the blues and green for different shades. In the end you'll have three trees that really pop. Good luck and stick with it!
First of all, your painting looks beautiful!! As the sky is in deep blue, you could make the trees look like standing in the night sky with moon light beaming on them. u could use sap green and chrome yellow for the different textures of green and use hints of white on the bark and the leaves to show moon light on them. not very thick, just like a thin, very thin layer of white...


Just a suggestion! do whatever u feel in the end!!

No comments:

Post a Comment