Thursday, February 25, 2010

How do I get oil paint to dry on paper mache???

Hi, I have made a few marionettes which have paper mache heads, which I painted with oil paint, but the problem is no matter how long I put it to dry and don't touch it, every time I want to use this doll the paint smudges, it's sort off dry but it isn't save to touch it or have anything rub against it, and now many weeks have passed since I have painted it actually...





What can I do to let it dry 100%??


I've already tried putting it in the sun and blow drying it but nothing works, please help!





Thank to everyone that answers! :)How do I get oil paint to dry on paper mache???
There is no ';fixative'; (and I would not recommend pastel fixative) but you can give it a coat of ';Retouch Varnish'; either spray or brush-on. Do not put anything else on top of uncured oil paint! Retouch varnish is not a permanent varnish, but it will make the paint surface dry to the touch while the paint cures. It offers some protection while still allowing oxygen to the paint - some artists use this to transport paintings while they await their final varnish. Paint may still rub off if you handle it roughly - but there isn't much else you can do - forcing oil paint to dry using heat is always a bad idea.How do I get oil paint to dry on paper mache???
You can force dry oil paint by spraying on fixative meant for pastels (the colored chalk), but I can't guarantee the chemical quality of the paint when you do this.





Even with this, only the outermost layer of paint is actually dry, so you will still have to be careful... yup, up to six months.
It depends on on how thick the paint is, it'll probably take up to 6 months to dry. next time mix a drying compound in with your oil paints and they'll dry in a day or two (Japan dryer, cobalt dryer etc).
Well first off i would've done to put liquin to mix with oil paint, it thins the paint out and dries more faster too and bit of turpenoid ( turpetine substitute)... Usually dries in about two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment