Saturday, February 27, 2010

How do I find out how old my oil painting is? and where can I bring it to find out how much it costs?

it's a pirate ship sailing into the setting sun it is darker colors with yellows and golds in in the sunset the boats are blackHow do I find out how old my oil painting is? and where can I bring it to find out how much it costs?
Send a picture to a smaller auction house that does free appraisals and ask for an estimate.





Take it to a fine arts dealer that deals in paintings of that period.





Not to disappoint you, but if it's a pirate ship painting any later than the 19th century it is probably not worth that much.





Best of luck.How do I find out how old my oil painting is? and where can I bring it to find out how much it costs?
You will have to set up an appointment with a professional art appraiser if you think that your piece is possibly worth a substantial amount of money. This is the only reliable way to make sure that you get an accurate assessment of its value.





A local museum with a knowledgeable curator might be able to either appraise your piece or let you know if it is worth the investment of time or money of getting it done professionally. Otherwise an auction house or art dealer might be able to do it. Just make sure that you check their credentials and ensure that they are qualified to make these kinds of appraisals.

No comments:

Post a Comment