Saturday, February 27, 2010

How do you learn to oil paint..? ?

I mean when I look at or read the classic stuff in histories or when I go to the musuems it's also painting or frames back in the 18 or 19th century..





It's great and I want to do something like that, my piano teacher is great at drawing and art and I think she learns them in books, but i'm not as great as her





I love looking at landscapes and nature and wanna paint my memories in pictures





But if you are keen to learn to piant/draw/sketch/oil paint how do you do so without being second nature to it?





and it's especially hard drawing the ANATOMY of the human, man how could they do it back ages ago.?





I love ARTHow do you learn to oil paint..? ?
As with any skill, the best way is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.





If drawing and painting doesn't really come to you ';naturally'; that's okay, you just have to work a little harder, but don't get discouraged.





The best thing to do it draw from life. If you are serious about it, set up still life's (think composition, textures, shapes) Challenge yourself a little once you feel a little more comfortable in your drawing skills. Change your still life weekly or bi-weekly, but while you are learning it is in my opinion a good idea to draw the same thing over and over again so you can see where you are improving and where you need work. Everyday do a few drawings, from that still life.. Anywhere from gesture sketches to full details.





Drawing 101: When you are looking at an object, lets say a skull, break it down into simple shapes first. Pay special attention to how the shadows and light allow you to see the object. Positive (light) and negative (shadows) spaces are really important in both painting and drawing.





I like to work in sketch books, i keep a little one with me all the time, so when I think of ideas or see pretty things I am jot/sketch it down. I sketch anything from full out details, only negative spaces, only shape relationships, line and contour drawings, your main challenge is to start seeing things differently.





Painting realistically requires some drawing skill, but the technique is different. I don't believe that you really need to be a great drawer to be a great painter.. so.. With paintings, esp Oils.. it takes a lot of observation. Look at your favorite artist and how they use their paint. How do they use texture? How do they blend colors? If you want to use oils, I would suggest buying those oil sets you can find at art supply stores, because they are relatively cheap and practice on smaller canvas. It wont be long before you want to go bigger and better, but just know oil takes a long time to dry and can be expensive. (to thin oil out you need turpentine so don't forget to buy that-- also, since the paint is much thicker you will need oil brushes-- someone at the art supply store can help you get started) Eventually you will be comfortable with buying primarys and mixing your own colors!





Art is all about experimenting. The beauty about art is that its all subjective, so-- you really cant mess it up!





I have like a million and ten drawing/painting exercises I could send you if want them along with tons of product suggestions.. Just pop me an email if you are interested!How do you learn to oil paint..? ?
Try taking some classes. Ask around at your local hobby store if there are any artists around who give classes. I've done this myself. They can be very informative and relatively inexpensive. On top of that you have your own painting when the class is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment