Saturday, February 27, 2010

How do I approach adding to an oil painting?

I have a couple of oil paintings I started a while back (a few months) and painted in the basic colors with the intention of coming back when they were dry (in about a week) to finish them up with details/etc. Well, the week turned into something like 6 months, and the surface must have sealed up or something because the paint seems like it doesn't want to adhere too well. I have had this problem before, with a picture about a year old. Usually I try and finish the picture in one sitting, but time hasn't allowed me to do that. This is oil paint on oil paint. I usually use it straight from the tube. Also what is retouch varnish? Could I use that to help the paint adhere better? What can I use? Thank you in advance.How do I approach adding to an oil painting?
I hear you , SD, I've been there many times myself. Here's a trick I've learned so long ago I forget where I learned it but it really works. Sandpaper the old dry surface! Not smooth but coarse sandpaper. It saves the colors and gives you a nice textured surface to add new paint. Try it!How do I approach adding to an oil painting?
just add it, what are you waiting for?
don't usual answer these q's,,anyway oil is thinned by clear oil, to fan out to met your ideal of color blend,may have to go a bit wider,,mineral spirits,terpintine can also be used..touch var,is a quick sealer,can be used as to bring back old colors after cleaning...i do not use it, most of the time ,when i get an ideal for a painting ,it takes bout 45min. til finish,,sometimes go back and add to it%26lt;%26gt;IS%26lt;%26gt;ART
Just resume painting using oil paint to put in your details and allow plenty of drying time to the new painting added to the old. Have fun.
Hi,





Retouch varnish may be the final varnish with more turps.


It's usually used to even the sheen and is applied before the final varnish. For insteance, you may apply the retouch one after 1 month or 2 and the final after at least 6 months.


In your case, don't apply it before finishing your work.


It seems that there have been problems due to some artists applying it between layers. Problems shown after some years, that is.


In your case, I would sand the work with a fine grain dry sandpaper (you don't want to loose your work). There are abrasive sponges too. Try using a block so that you sand using an even surface. This way your fingers won't mark the surface.


Then clean with a dry rag and then clean with a bit of turps (slightly damp a clean and lint free rag or a kitchen paper)





Best regards,





Jos茅

No comments:

Post a Comment