Thursday, February 25, 2010

How to add text to oil painting?

I am trying to make a logo type painting. I started with a canvas and added an oil paint background. I thought it would be ';easy'; to apply another layer of paint with the logo/design and font. But, I have tested white oil paint over dark oil paint background, and it looks okay, but it is so difficult to get a very straight edge for the lettering (tried freehand %26amp; using painters tape. The oil paint has dried for approximately 6 months, while I have tried to think of a way to do this. Now, I'm stuck. I want to paint or airbrush or tape/fix/glue fabric or paper or figure some way to add wording on top of my oil paint background. Does anyone have suggestions or ideas for how or what to use to add or paint crisp-edged letters on top of a oil paint background? I have read about oil painting and needing to layer ';fat over lean'; - so I know I should use a heavier oil paint or pastel if I use paint (and NOT acrylic). I also read that one should not glue paper over oil.How to add text to oil painting?
There are oil painting pens you can buy that will work very much like a marker though your paint must be dry.


Also a pallet knife will give you a straight edge. If the paint is dry you can also use a flexible drafting tape for the curves. (Be sure to burnish the edges with a flat knife to prevent leakage)


Basically you have the wrong medium for what you are trying to do. Your other alternative is to cut out a stencil from air brush stencil material with an xato knife and spray it.


You could start over with another canvass and get what you need to do in a few minutes. I know you said you did not want to use acrylic paint but you could have the entire painting done in a few hours. And remember a lot of artists use acrylic as an under painting so you could add some oil paint on top of the acrylic. Your tape will work better also.How to add text to oil painting?
acrylic paints goe quickly as the drying time is short. Draw out your logo on a piece of tracing paper. rub the back with white chalk. tape down: go over the outline of the logo with pensil now. .Finish painting . wipe off chalk

Report Abuse



Thank you very much for adding this! I think I will try to get some oil based markers to give it a try with the oil paint background. I will probably give it a go with the acrylics too, .... and see which one comes out better. Thanks very much for the help!

Report Abuse



you can try silk screen, not sure what paint to use but suspect that its easy to find out if it will stick to oil. Silk screen is pretty easy, and you can find books on how to or ask a friend. there are many ways to get very sharp edges on text and even photo realistic images using photo light emulsions. Its is a simple process and everyone can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment